Usage by the community in 2022:
Libraries across the state submit annual statistical reports to the Idaho Commission for Libraries. It’s a useful way to track how people are using our library over time. We appreciate your patronage.
- 445 registered users
- 4,543 visitors (not counting users who accessed Wifi outside the library)
- 39 in-person and virtual programs with nearly 500 attendees
- almost 3,000 physical items circulated and 1300 electronic items
- 5,600 items held, including print materials, audio and e-books, and DVD/Blu-ray movies with access to 47,200 other digital assets through the Idaho Digital Consortium
The Stanley Community Library District began as an “Astronomy/Missing Civilizations Club,” which was formed in 1977. Efforts to find books and materials for club projects led to the formation of the Stanley Community Volunteer Library on January 18, 1979. At that time volunteers operated the library from the Mountain Village Lodge lobby, and later moved it across the street to the Stanley Steamer Building. From 1983 to November 1999 the library was located in the Community Building on Highway 21. For many years the library thrived solely through volunteer efforts and assistance from the Idaho State Library (now the Idaho Commission for Libraries) and Eastern Idaho Regional Library. Funding came through donations and option tax money from the City of Stanley. In May of 1998 the community of Stanley voted to form a library taxing district.
In January 2013, the library moved to a new facility on Niece Avenue that provides more space for users, with much better visibility and energy-efficiency, and includes a multipurpose room that will meet many needs and be accessible after hours to community groups.